Posted Date: 06/29/2020
Midway ISD (Henrietta, Clay County) Translation Procedures
Purpose: Midway ISD recognizes the crucial role that parents, guardians and families play in the education of their children. Midway ISD encourages partnerships between the district administration, schools, and families in order to share the responsibility of educating our students. To that end, this policy is created to ensure that parents who speak languages other than English are provided appropriate translation and interpreting services so that families may fully participate in the education of their children.
Identification: The District will use the Home Language Surveys (HLS) to determine both the students and parents’ language needs. Parents who speak a language other than English, and were not identified by the HLS, may request services for school-related communications at any time following the Procedures for Requesting Services listed below.
Interpretation and Translation:
• Oral interpretation into Spanish is provided for families at meetings, parent conferences, Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Meetings, Assessment Review Dismissal (ARD) Meetings, 504 Meetings, and parent school events, as needed.
• Written translation is provided in Spanish of the District and Campus Parent Family Engagement Policies and the Campus Improvement Plans. Written translation will be provided for other requested languages to the extent practicable.
• txConnect (parent access to student grades) is available in Spanish.
• School Messenger messages are automatically translated into the home language.
• Teachers will use Google Translate when sending home notes/ communication to parents regarding their students’ academic/behavioral progress.
• For languages other than Spanish, the District will reach out to community and religious organizations to assist in communicating effectively with parents.
• On line translation is available on the district website via the Google Translate tool which instantly translates websites, including the information on the district and campus websites, into over 100 languages.
• All campuses have personnel available who can help translate or interpret as needed for parents whose first language is Spanish. Our main interpretation contact is Clara Gonzales.
Procedures for Requesting Services:
Parents may access language services for school related purposes in any of the following ways:
• Ask at the school or district office, in person or by phone
• Ask a teacher
• Email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org